Happy 4th of July everyone! It 's that wonderful time of the year when we all get the burgers and brats on the grill, have the drinks chilling in the cooler and the sparklers ready for the sun to go down. I have found some recipes you can add to your holiday cook-out this year. The following recipes are sure to add some fun and yum to your 4th of July Celebration.
• In a bowl combine flour, pecans and butter. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
• In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar. Fold in half of the whipped topping; spread over crust. In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
• Spread over cream cheese layer. Cover with remaining whipped topping. Decorate with strawberries and blueberries to resemble a flag. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Photo: Taste of Home
Red, White and Bleu Slaw Recipe
• 6 cups angel hair coleslaw mix
• 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 3/4 cup coleslaw salad dressing
• 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
• 1/2 cup real bacon bits
• In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, tomatoes, salad dressing and 1/2 cup blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with bacon bits and remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Recipe by Guy Fieri and Photo by: Kate Sears
Fourth of July Cocktail
• 1 ounce watermelon schnapps
• 1 big splash cranberry juice
• 1 very thin slice jalapeno or serrano pepper
• 1 slice lemon
• 1 slice lime
• 1 1/2 ounces tequila
• 1/4 ounce blue curacao
• 1/2 ounce simple syrup
• Watermelon wedge, for garnish (optional)
Mix the schnapps and cranberry juice in a shaker; pour into an ice-filled glass.
Muddle the jalapeno pepper, lemon and lime slices, tequila, blue curacao and simple syrup (to make a batch, dissolve sugar in equal parts hot water and chill) in the shaker. Slowly strain into the glass over the red layer. Garnish with watermelon, if desired.
Enjoy and Happy Fourth of July to you and your family!